Established about ninety years ago, the first university in Karnataka and one of the earliest established universities in the country, Mysore University is known for its innovative academic initiatives like Third Sector Research Centre and I-School.
Founded in 1916, Mysore University has five constituent colleges in Mysore and two PG Centres in Hassan and Mandya. There are more than hundred affiliated colleges under the university’s jurisdiction, limited to Mysore, Mandya, Hassan and Chamarajanagara districts. The main campus, Manasa Gangothri, is located near Kukkarahalli, on the outskirts of Mysore.
Spread over seven hundred acres and developed in 1960, Manasa Gangothri’s campus is best known for its peaceful ambience and academic environment. There are 37 PG departments and twelve research centres at this campus.
Manasa Gangothri is known to have been trodden by great teachers who taught at the university. Renowned educationists and scholars like Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Professors S Chandrashekar, C D Narasimhiah and K V Puttappa, are amongst the famous gurus.
Mysore University Administrative Office, Crawford Hall is located on the eastern end of Kukkarahalli lake next to the campus. Originally designed to house the Mysore Representative Assembly, Crawford Hall was built in 1947. It is named after W L Crawford and his brother C S Crawford, the Englishmen known to have made a donation of one lakh rupees to the university, in memory of their students days in Mysore.
Folklore Centre & library
Mysore University architectural and folklore research centre – the heritage Museum – has been maintained by the university. The museum was once the palace of princess Jayalakshmi Ammanni, daughter of Maharaja Charaja Wadeyar. After restoration of the century-old mansion by Infosys Foundation in 2006, the university converted it into a folklore museum.
The folklore museum has as many as 125 rooms with thousands of artifacts representing folklore art, culture, religion and tribal community life in addition to archaeological exhibits.The exhibition rooms have a chemical conservation laboratory and separate galleries dedicated to Royal reminisens and famous Kannada litterateurs.
Established in 1918, Mysore University library was shifted from Maharaja’s College building to Manasa Gangothri campus in 1965. With over ten thousand reference books, sixty thousand Kannada books, five thousand ancient titles, about 800 periodicals, three thousand journals, microfilms, maps, atlas and university publications, it is said to be the largest library of its kind in the country.
SOURCE : DECCAN HERALD